Factoflife – Makeup and putting make up is something that most of the women in this world do everyday with familiar types of cosmetics like lipstick, mascara, perfume, or nail polish. But, I can say for sure that there are always so many, many extremely interesting facts and myths about makeup and makeup products that we still do not know well. Right below here are some cool facts like that! Now, let’s see what they are!
- The first nail polish was invented in China in 3000 B.C. Unlike the formula today, the original version was a mixture of beeswax, gum, egg whites and colored powder.
- During Cleopatra’s reign, she would soak the sails of her ships in perfume so the scent would drift to Rome before her arrival. Between this and statement eyes, she truly represented Egyptian queen beauty.
- In the 18th century, England almost passed a law that allowed men to divorce their wives if they caught them wearing makeup.
- The first mascara was created by Eugene Rimmel in the 19th century. Ironically, the word Rimmel closely translates to mascara in many languages, while the word mascara means mask or stain in Spanish, Portuguese and Italian.
- Every year there are close to 900 million lipsticks sold worldwide. That means almost every single person in the United States could own 3 tubes of lipstick!
- Neon nail polish is illegal in the United States. While many brands tout neon shades, their colors do not possess the true neon colorant. Neon within nail polish is not approved by the FDA, thus you’re most likely to find a real neon nail polish in other countries.
- Some laws never get tossed out no matter how outdated and absurd. In order for a woman to wear makeup in Morrisville, Pennsylvania she must get a permit first. Luckily, no one is enforcing this law!